Medical Specialty >> Nephrology

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/09/2017.

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: Kidney problem

 elieh - Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:02 pm

My relative is a female 35 years old
She had attened a CT scan.
The doctor report mentioned the following:
""the right kidney shows a right mid-anterior hypodense fat containing 5.8 mm diameter non-enhancing lesion suggestive of a hamartoma (angiomyolipoma )""
can you please explain me if it's dangerous and what are the treatments that showld be taken
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:37 pm

User avatar Hi Elieh,

Angiomyolipomas (hamartomas) are found in about 1-3% of the population. They are noncancerous tumors and often are isolated, incidental findings. They can also be found in association with a syndrome called Tuberous Sclerosis. If more than one hamartoma is found, tuberous sclerosis should be considered.

Usually, no intervention is needed. When isolated they are essentially an incidental finding. Occasionally they can begin bleeding and require treatment for this.

Best wishes.
 elieh - Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:11 pm

Dear Dr. Lowe
First I would like to thank you for your kind help.

Bellow is our previous convirsation about my relative kidney problem. As I'm not convinced with her doctor treatement since he only subscribed her a pain reliever. Please find bellow a list of symptoms she is suffering, please I need advise.

- Pain on the side between ribs and hip (Yes)
- Pain in the belly (Yes)
- Pain in the back (Yes)
- Fever (Seldom)
- Frequent urination (Yes)
- Blood in your urine (Yes)
- Pain or burning during urination (Sometimes)
- Feeling tired (Yes)
- Feeling weak (Yes)
- Loss of appetite (Many times)
- Not sleeping (Random)
- Swelling of the feet and ankles (No)
- Nausea and Vomiting (No)

Thanks a lot
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:56 pm

User avatar Hi Elieh,

I would recommend your relative see a kidney specialist. She should also be tested for a urinary tract infection that. She may need further testing to help determine why she is having the blood and other symptoms. A nephrologist (kidney specialist) is likely to give you the best information.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us