Medical Specialty >> Nephrology

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/09/2017.

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: Flank Pain while Prone

Sally Loska - Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:53 pm

I am a 55 year old post menopausal female; basically healthy and active. For the last two weeks I have been experiencing a pain in my left flank that begins ONLY when I am prone, escallating in intensity to the point of excruciating and I must arise from the bed. Approximately 30 minutes after becoming erect, the pain eases to the point where I forget about it. This cycle repeats daily without change, although I am noticing that the pain seems to be increasing in intensity each night. I have suffered a kidney stone in the past, but this does not present as the same. Any suggetions?
I presently take PremPro, Norvasc, and Boniva. My family history includes heart disease and various types of stomach cancer. I have been hospitalized only for childbirth. I had a great checkup in July.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:16 pm

User avatar Hi Sally,

This is a bit puzzling. Perhaps this is a kidney stone but it would certainly be an odd presentation. I'd be more suspicious that you may have a nerve being pressed on when you are in the prone position. It may be due to tight muscles that are being strained when prone, as well.

I would recommend you consider seeing a neurologist or possibly a sports medicine physician to further evaluate your symptoms.

Bets wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us