Medical Specialty >> Nephrology

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: Flank Pain while Prone

Sally Loska - Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:53 pm

I am a 55 year old post menopausal female; basically healthy and active. For the last two weeks I have been experiencing a pain in my left flank that begins ONLY when I am prone, escallating in intensity to the point of excruciating and I must arise from the bed. Approximately 30 minutes after becoming erect, the pain eases to the point where I forget about it. This cycle repeats daily without change, although I am noticing that the pain seems to be increasing in intensity each night. I have suffered a kidney stone in the past, but this does not present as the same. Any suggetions?
I presently take PremPro, Norvasc, and Boniva. My family history includes heart disease and various types of stomach cancer. I have been hospitalized only for childbirth. I had a great checkup in July.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:16 pm

User avatar Hi Sally,

This is a bit puzzling. Perhaps this is a kidney stone but it would certainly be an odd presentation. I'd be more suspicious that you may have a nerve being pressed on when you are in the prone position. It may be due to tight muscles that are being strained when prone, as well.

I would recommend you consider seeing a neurologist or possibly a sports medicine physician to further evaluate your symptoms.

Bets wishes.