Medical Specialty >> Nephrology

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: Water Symptoms

essentiae - Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:57 pm

Dear Dr. Weil,

I often feel that I’m getting thirstier as I drink water. I don’t know enough to understand why that would be but it has me a little concerned about my kidneys or... I really don’t know. When I drink my mouth feels drier, my throat feels uncomfortable and strangely tighter and drier, my fingertips sometimes prune, and I find the glands in my neck feel sore shortly after. I even feel like my circulation gets poorer (I’m drinking luke warm or hot water). I think it unlikely that I’m over-drinking; in fact I may be dehydrated at this point (nervous about drinking much now in case something is wrong) and have barely been eating in the last 3 weeks due to gastro issues (drinking issue has been longer).

I have asked a Dr about this and was told that it doesn't make sense; yet it is definitely happening and has been for quite some time.

Why would this be?

I hope you can help me understand as I am nervous. The Dr telling me it's not possible makes me feel misunderstood, alone, and confused.

Mary R
(I am a 29 year old female with GI symptoms under investigation and food allergies. I am not on any medication.)
 essentiae - Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:58 pm

Hmm... and as you can see I originally sent this question to Dr. Andrew Weil's website and this was a copy of that question that I had sent in the hopes of getting a response from someone here.

I hope someone can help as I really need to understand this.

Many thanks,
Mary