Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Renal Failure

Question: Kidney Donor

helpme00 - Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:06 am

I am a 17 year old boy and I want to donate my kidney to a woman who needs a kindey transplant if I am a match. Would I be able to donate my kindey even though I am under 18 year of age with parent permission?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:34 pm

User avatar Hi Helpme00,

The rules regarding living organ donation by a minor vary from state to state; however, in general, they are very restrictive such that often it is not allowed. If it were a relative receiving the chances may be higher but for non-related donation the likelihood of this being approved is low.

This doesn't necessarily mean it can't happen. Just be sure that you and your parents are fully aware of all the risks of such a procedure, which are extensive.