Medical Specialty >> Nephrology

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/09/2017.

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: doctor's negligence

 neer_sainik - Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:52 am

can i take legal assisstance if the health has gone down because of doctor's negligence?
what action can i take up?
 KLO79 - Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:26 am

neer_sainik wrote:can i take legal assisstance if the health has gone down because of doctor's negligence?
what action can i take up?
you can take up a medical malpractice law suit
 Rhonda P, CEP - Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:26 pm

User avatar As you know anyone can attempt to sue for any reason but as far as a medical malpractice or negligent lawsuit goes, they are hard to prove.

In order for malpractice to actually take place you have to prove that the person (Doctor) had a duty to act, failure to exercise due care and that the injury or damages caused were done because that person didn't do their job to the best of their ability and level of training. Usually the burden of proof is on the patient to prove damage WAS done not on the Doctor to prove damage wasn't done, does that make sense?

If you feel that this Doctor didn't do the right tests or was grossly negligent, make sure you get all the records and test results you can (you may not be able to get any if you aren't legal guardian) - hospital, emergency room, fire department, ambulance, labs, doctors offices, whoever was involved with the care of this person.
 landry12 - Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:13 am

If you can prove that your health was gone due to the negligence of the doctor, you can claim against him. Medical negligence could be defined as a failure to exercise reasonable skill and care in diagnosis and treatment as per the prevalent standards at that particular point of time.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us