Medical Specialty >> Nephrology

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/09/2017.

Forum Name: Nephrology Symptoms

Question: Flank Pain/Hematuria

saintj - Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:45 pm

I have had a pain in my flank that originally came on with moderate fever and chills about a year ago. The pain has been there all this time - sometimes less, sometimes more. Tonight is somewhat more. I've had fever and chills a couple more times, but usually not. If I move wrong it feels like someone punched me. I actually involuntarily grunt from the pain. I am also experiencing urinary frequency, (sometimes as many as 20 times per day), I have to get up at least once per night and urinary urgency. This can be episodic also - sometimes is's just 8-10 times per day, but always once per night. I also can be very thristy sometimes, but my blood sugar is normal.

I mentioned this pain to my doctor and told him the above symptoms. He ordered a urinalysis in which the only abnormal values were Occult blood in the urine (small) and Erythrocytes 6 to 10/HPF. I don't believe I've ever had blood in my urine before. I did have a strep infection in my bladder a number of years ago (3) and took meds for it.

I am feeling extremely fatigued and can barely get through the day. Also, I'm nauseated frequently.

Am I right to be concerned about these symptoms? I don't know how much blood in urine would be a cause for alarm. I do take ibuprofen as needed, but other than that I can't understand why I would have this.

Thanks.

saintj
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:10 am

User avatar Hi saintj,
It is abnormal to have blood in your urine. Although a small percentage of people do have a minute amout of blood that shows up on a urinalysis for no apparent reason. Some also have blood in their urine as a result of, for example, excessive exercise and medications.I would suggest that you call your doctor especially since you are still having pain. He/she may want to do additional testing, blood work, urine tests, etc. and possibly send you to a nephrologist to rule out any potential problems if he/she is unsure of the cause.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us