Medical Specialty >> Nephrology

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/09/2017.

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: abnormal odor to urine

sweetakala - Sat Mar 29, 2003 1:23 pm

i have had a very unusual smell to my urine for about 4 months. I noticed when I was sick with the flu and I had diarrehea for a few days. about that same time i began having this strange odor to my urine. it almost has a sulfur-ish scent to it, it is very strong. it has a cloudy apperance sometimes (this is not unusual for me). most of the time my urine has a dark color to it with an almost orange tint. It is strongest in the morning or when its has been a few hours since i've gone last. I have no pain or change in frequency or urgency. I have no insurance so i haven't been to a doctor, but its been like this for 4 months and I am worried that there is something seriously wrong with me. I have tried to research myself what could be causing this and I think I may have metabolic acidosis. would this cause urine to have a abnormal odor? there is probably several other things that could be causing this I hope you can help me pinpoint what the problem is and what I need to do to treat it. thanks for your time.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Apr 04, 2003 7:34 pm

User avatar Dear Akala,

Thank you very much for using our website.

What you are describing sounds to me like concentrated urine more than anything else.

i think the best thing to do is to drink a large amount of fluids every day and see the effect this will have on your urine appearance and odor.

If this persists, you could just have a simple urine analysis to make sure that there is nothing to be worried about.

Once more, thank you very much for using our website https://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us