Medical Specialty >> Nephrology

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/09/2017.

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: Pain in lower right side of back

 det - Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:18 am


i've had an odd pain in my back, on the lower right side, right where the ribs end, and perhaps three inches above the top arc of the pelvis. it's dull, and seems to come and go, but it is definitely there. when it does appear, it lasts for a few seconds, and then goes away.

at first, i thought it was muscle related since i did some heavy lifting the other day where i had to bend down, lift, and carry some boxes. but i've had soar muscles before from strength training, and the pain i have now feels different.

i'm starting to worry this might be kidney related since the pain, though mild and dull, seems to be deeper inside and not on the surface as a muscle ache/sore tends to be. further, it's right where the right kidney wouldbe, and the pain can occur while i just may be sitting. however, i must say that, on occasion, it has appeared when i have made movements involving the back.

i seem to have no other symptoms. i'm 23, otherwise pretty healthy, i exercise, etc. the other reason i'm concerned is that i've never experienced pain in that region before. would you have any thoughts on what this may be?

i'm quite worried. and would really appreciate the help.

thank you
 Dan Abshear - Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:38 pm

I'm not a doctor, but your kidney is a really good possibility as what is causing your pain and discomfort. There are doctors called nephrologists who specialize in kidneys, so consider seeing one to have that kidney evaluated. A urine test may show some abnormality of the urine is tested. Also there is an X-Ray called a KUB (Kidney-Ureter-Bladder) that should probably be done on you as well.

Good luck, and I hope you feel better.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us