Medical Specialty >> Nephrology

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/09/2017.

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: non-bacterial burning with urination?

Anonymous - Mon May 19, 2003 12:20 am

Hello, i am a 24 yo male who has had mild burning with urination off and on for a year. i have a mild burning sensation in the distal 1-1.5 inches of my penis only during urination about 80% of the time, the other 20% there is no pain. I am circumsized, and am not sexually active, nor have i been in the past. i've been on antibiotics such as cipro for other infections during the time i have had these symptoms and they have not resolved. i was wondering if i could possibly have some sort of inflamation of the glands of littre due to a viral or fungal cause # however there is no redness, discharge, edema, etc... around the meatus or glans. everything looks normal. i also have a spermatocole, but i can't imagine that it has anything to do with the burning. back in high school i had similar symptoms and visited the urologist. he checked for a stricture (and i assume found nothing)and told me that if it didn't get worse i probably shouldn't worry about it. now that it (or something similar) is happening again i was wondering if you had any idea of what it could be or any suggestions. thanks for your time and expertise.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon May 19, 2003 1:50 pm

User avatar Dear Jamison,

i think the best way to make sure that you do not have an infection is to do a urinalysis.

This burning could be secondary to concentrated urine. Meaning that you are not drinking enough fluid. You can try to drink enough fluids like at least 1.5-2 liters of fluids a day and see how this affects this sensation.

Thank you very much for using our website https://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us