Medical Specialty >> Nephrology

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/09/2017.

Forum Name: Nephrology Symptoms

Question: Bi-Lateral Kidney Stones and Persistant Pain

 blsnipe - Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:35 pm

I have had numerous endocrinology problems, PCOS and hypothyroidism. During all my pregnancies I had numerous UTIs and Kidney Infections. However, after I had my third child I started having persistent pain on my right side. It worsens when I bend over or reposistion myself. I had a MRI done and it showed numerous bi-lateral kidney stones. However, the urologist thought that the stones were too small and not in the correct position to cause the pain. Now, two years later, I still have that pain and it is constant. No doctor can seem to figure it out. What could cause pain that seems to be from my right kidney, and hurts worse when I bend over?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu May 28, 2009 10:29 pm

User avatar Hello --

The fact the kidney stones are present still makes them the prime suspect, although their being small and the pain aggravated by bending at the waist does throw some doubt on this. If the stones are definitely not the cause there are so many possibilities outside that one it would be difficult to enumerate let alone speculate on the possible cause. Given there are multiple bilat. stones with no help from the urologist suggests it may be time for a second opinion. Those stones can't be doing any good anyway and still may well be the cause of the pain, at least indirectly.

Wish I could give you a better answer, but outside the stones there are just too many, mostly benign, possible causes for this postural pain I can only recommend a consult with another urologist. If that fails to yield any valid result, consult with a good internist would be next.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck to you.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us