Medical Specialty >> Nephrology

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/09/2017.

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics


 veggiegrower67 - Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:34 pm

i am a 40 year old female. In the past 6 months i have had 6 UTI'S on many of those occassions i have seen blood in my urine. On three occassions with the UTI i had severe pain lower right abdomen/lower right back. I have since seen a urologist and he has just recently done a CT with contrast. I am very nervous about this. He thinks possible infected kidney stone. I have also had a total hysto about 12 years ago due to severe endometrosis. To ease my mind could you give me your opinion what you think it could be.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:03 am

User avatar Hi,
The fact that you had pain associated with UTI's and gross hematuria, certainly would prompt a suspicion of urinary stone disease.

As far as endometriosis being a suspect, the odds are rather small.
The incidence of urinary tract involvement in endometriosis is estimated to be about 1%. of which vesical (urinary bladder)
involvement is the most common. Usually women in the 3rd or 4th decade of age are affected ,with a peak incidence between 30-35 years.

Cyclical haematuria(if present), would have pointed towards endometriosis.

It is better to wait for the contrast CT report, which hopefully will sort out the problem.
Best wishes!
 veggiegrower67 - Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:49 pm

Thank you Dr. Kamath for your response. I did get results back of my CT it indicated that i had significant scarring of the right kidney? I have never had issues with my kidney's before until this past year. The urologist said that i must have had significant kidney infections as a child. In talking with my mother she said not to her knowledge had i ever had any issues as a child or young adult. The lower right quadrant pain as well as lower posterior back pain is still continuing. During the release of urine i experience most intense pain in lower right. The back pain is intermittent. I have just completed three months of antibiotics (cipro, macrobid and zythromicin). So far i have not had anymore UTI's. But i have not any clue why i have had this problem.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us