Medical Specialty >> Nephrology

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/09/2017.

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: GROSS HEMATURIA 7 UTI'S IN 6 MONTHS

veggiegrower67 - Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:34 pm

i am a 40 year old female. In the past 6 months i have had 6 UTI'S on many of those occassions i have seen blood in my urine. On three occassions with the UTI i had severe pain lower right abdomen/lower right back. I have since seen a urologist and he has just recently done a CT with contrast. I am very nervous about this. He thinks possible infected kidney stone. I have also had a total hysto about 12 years ago due to severe endometrosis. To ease my mind could you give me your opinion what you think it could be.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:03 am

User avatar Hi,
The fact that you had pain associated with UTI's and gross hematuria, certainly would prompt a suspicion of urinary stone disease.

As far as endometriosis being a suspect, the odds are rather small.
The incidence of urinary tract involvement in endometriosis is estimated to be about 1%. of which vesical (urinary bladder)
involvement is the most common. Usually women in the 3rd or 4th decade of age are affected ,with a peak incidence between 30-35 years.

Cyclical haematuria(if present), would have pointed towards endometriosis.

It is better to wait for the contrast CT report, which hopefully will sort out the problem.
Best wishes!
 veggiegrower67 - Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:49 pm

Thank you Dr. Kamath for your response. I did get results back of my CT it indicated that i had significant scarring of the right kidney? I have never had issues with my kidney's before until this past year. The urologist said that i must have had significant kidney infections as a child. In talking with my mother she said not to her knowledge had i ever had any issues as a child or young adult. The lower right quadrant pain as well as lower posterior back pain is still continuing. During the release of urine i experience most intense pain in lower right. The back pain is intermittent. I have just completed three months of antibiotics (cipro, macrobid and zythromicin). So far i have not had anymore UTI's. But i have not any clue why i have had this problem.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us