Medical Specialty >> Nephrology

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/09/2017.

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: Floaters in urine, Lower back pain, Kidney Problems?

 SugarPlumFairy - Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:08 am

Hello, I am a 20 year old female. I have had cloudy urine for the past 3 months. I thought it was just something I ate or drank, but it has not gone away. It looks like there are lots and lots of floaters on the surface of the water after I urinate. I don't know if these may be proteins? I have also had moderate lower back pain on both sides recently that I think may be related to my kidneys. I have experienced dizziness as well. Is this serious?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:32 am

User avatar Hi,
Urine normally, should be clear. A freshly voided sample of urine may under certain conditions, may contain "suspended debris" (crystals, pus cells, red blood cells, casts etc). Given time, most of these tend to settle down to the bottom of the container. Centrifuging (as done in the laboratory) accelerates this process.

You say that your urine contains "floating debris". This is rather unusual. Voiding into a toilet (from a height) for example, may cause a frothing effect and this may trap some of the voided debris and float (surface tension). Certain chemicals (if present in the toilet) may also be capable of causing this due to a detergent effect.

You also complain of loin pains.Therefore you presumably need a urinalysis and a urine culture among other tests. But, first and foremost, you must have yourself examined by your regular family doctor, who will be able to examine you and then guide you depending on the physical findings.
Best wishes!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us