Medical Specialty >> Nephrology

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/09/2017.

Forum Name: Nephrotic Syndrome

Question: Vasculitis condition- Who to see, OB/gyn? Nephro? Derma?

 helpme101 - Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:01 pm


I'd appreciate if a medical professional can advise me which doctor should I see to consult my condition. This might not be the best forum to post this but I'm hoping someone can advise me what to do.

I am 28 years old, just arrived in US last Feb 2009 and had a history of kidney infection and UTI back home, although not much of skin problems.

Currently, i am experiencing a recurring vasculitis in my lower body. I first had this last winter of 2009. The derma diagnosed it as vasculitis, or inflammation of blood vessels, without even explaining to me what caused it. This recent appearance of my vasculitis (for 3 weeks now) appeared immediately after I had few infected insect bites (I think bed bug or mites) in my legs. My infected bites already healed but i notice the rashes are not fading away, instead it is worsening and starting to get itchy.

I am worried that the burning itch will wake me up again in the middle of the night like the last time I had it. But I am most worried of the cause of this vasculitis. I am worried that it might be something internal, or a system disorder (God forbids!). That is why I want to see the right specialist/doctor. I am looking at 3 possible causes: Viral infection due to my infected insect bites, kidney problem/renal problem, or a form of infection from my recent miscarriage.

In June 2010, I had a miscarriage in my 8th week, but did not have to undergo any procedure since I was said to have had a spontaneous miscarriage. About two weeks after, I felt a burning sensation while urinating, which I believed was UTI. I opened these conditions to my Obgyn during my last visit. OB advised a urinalysis. OB said shes gonna call me if they find something alarming from any of my blood test results and urine tests. I was not called since then so I believe I was fine, this was sometime July 2010.

Until now, two months after my miscarriage, I have not had my period back yet, and I started feeling a lump and mild pain in the left side of my tummy, that part which hurt most when I had my miscarriage contractions.

Please advise whether I should see an OB/Gyn, or a Nephrologist, or a Dermatologist.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

God bless you!
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:13 am

User avatar Hello,The information you have given other than diagnosis of vasculitis is too little to give you a proper answer,yet I assume you have a cutaneous vasculitis,from the present episode details.Vasculitis can range from a single organ involvement to multiple organ failures.Cutaneous vasculitis could involve small or bigger vessels.This is an inflammation of blood vessels caused either by viruses,drugs,inflammatory disease(Mainly connective tissue disorders),malignancy(2%),and cause unknown(50%).Special mention is to be made about hepatitis B and C with some forms of vasculitis associated with cryoglobulins.While pulmonary,renal and other system vasculitis may be difficult to identify dermatologists can easily identify the skin lesions due to visual appearance.While ordinary urticaria rash do not leave behind pigmentation these do. Aso the red rashes are palpable(Palpable purpura).High ESR,hypo complementemia,Posive ANA,hematuria are some of laboratory features.
Most important will be to rule out systemic involvement.If there is nothing it can be tackled with out much problem.A doctor with internal medicine specialization would be ideal to consult.
Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us