Medical Specialty >> Nephrology

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/09/2017.

Forum Name: Nephrology Symptoms

Question: Painful lump left flank?

jtf2002 - Sat May 14, 2005 11:17 am

For the past year I have had painful lumps on my left flank these lumps have started to make me feel ill when bending over too much or when I exert myself. The lumps are quite large maybe an inch and a half long and an inch in diameter I can feel them with my hands but they are not visible on the surface. I have a history of systs on my skin such as polinoidal syst and acne systs in my growing and armpits. I went to see a doctor this week who has sent me for biopsy on monday may 16th. He didn't give me any ideas as to what it could be.
My first question is should I have a ct scan first and does a biopsy pose any risks of spreading whatever it is?
Are there any questions I should ask the surgen that I will see on monday? He is the same doctor that helped me with my Polinoidal syst.
I would also like to know what some of the possibilities are so I can do some research on my own by compairing symptoms.
I do not have any insurance so any research I can do on my own will be helpfull? thanks john
 Dr. S. Adhikari - Sat May 14, 2005 2:03 pm

Hi! It's difficult to decide by history alone what might be the cause of your lumps. The fact that they are not visible from the skin surface excludes a cutaneous origin. Just check out if you have a chronic problem of constipation or if you are having urinary problems. The etiology might range from an innocuous condition to quite serious ones. A biopsy is a good option but a CT scan in the first place would have been more informative.
Best wishes....

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us