Medical Specialty >> Nephrology

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/09/2017.

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics


 aprildawn - Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:03 pm

My son has been having trouble urinating for 3 weeks. How can I describe it? He pees, stops, pees, stops. He only urinates like 3x a day, no matter how much he drinks. And he struggles at that. 3 weeks ago, he had a high fever, and they said virus. then the trouble with urinating started. They did urine test, and blood work. Normal, except one kidney is larger than the other. Anything to be concerned about??? Then, he got a ultrasound to check for kidney stones. Normal results again! Does anyone know what is wrong with him please? It kinda sound like prostate problems, but he is too young. He's only 15 yrs old....also, he lost like 8 lbs. in 3 weeks. He is 5'4" and weighs 101 lbs. He's on alot of meds, ritalin, luvox, and zyprexa. Wondering maybe if the meds are causing this. He's been taking these for years, luvox is the only new one, started taking it like 3 mos ago. Thanks for any suggestions!
 Dan Theman - Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:41 pm

If he is not seeing a specialist (Urologist, Nephrologist) then he needs to see one immediately! I would not bother waiting for a professional reply on this web site as it does not seem to be moderated by anyone judging by the amount of unanswered questions. They really shouldn't call it the Doctor's Lounge because there doesn't seem to be a doctor in sight! Good luck.
 aprildawn - Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:52 pm

Thanks so much....I had his blood results faxed to me, and it said his protein and albulmin levels are high. I am so worried. I contacted a urologist and my son is going to be seen tomorrow! Hopefully, we'll have answers. Thanks again

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us