Medical Specialty >> Nephrology

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/09/2017.

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: cyst found by ultrasound; how serious is it?

 victrola - Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:48 pm

I just found out from my gp that I need to see a urologist because they found a cyst on my left kidney. What questions should I ask the urologist? How serious is this condition? I've done some searching on the net about it, but what I've found doesn't really describe me. Otherwise, I'm healthy, not in renal failure.... :?:
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:02 pm

User avatar Renal cysts are abnormal dilatations of the kidneys, which result in the formation of fluid-filled sacs which are visible on ultrasound or CT scan. Renal cystic disease encompasses a broad category of kidney diseases. Some of these conditions are genetic, and may results in chronic renal failure. However, most cysts are benign growths that do not need to be treated.

Simple cysts are found in at least 50 percent of adults over the age of 50 and are a benign condition. The reason for their development is unknown, but it is likely a degenerative process related to aging. These cysts are usually asymptomatic and are found upon imaging of the kidneys for an unrelated complaint. It is usually easy to differentiate between a simple cyst and a renal cancer based upon their appearance on ultrasound or CT scan. Sometimes, this differentiation is less clear and may require additional imaging studies or other procedures.

You should ask him about the seriousness of the situation.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us