Medical Specialty >> Nephrology

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/09/2017.

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: Protein in Urine / UTIs / Hematology Protein S Deficient

Reynolds706 - Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:58 am

OK... I have a question... I've had many UTIs in the past year. I was most recently diagnosed with a UTI this past Monday. I was staying moist in the perineal area and asked for a u/a check in the physician's office on Monday. I don't know all of the results, but the physician did state that I had protein in my urine and started me on Bactrim DS BID for a UTI. My question is a two part question.

First, what is the significance of protein in the urine --- what could it be an indicator of in light of having multiple UTIs this past year (probably 5 or 6 since last November)

Second, In April of this year, I was diagnosed with Bilateral pulmonary embolisms (blood clots of ths lungs) secondary to a Protein S deficiency. Would there be any correlation to a hematological protein S deficient while having too much protein in my urine? I'm not sure if these two type of proteins are related or not. It's just a hypothetical question in case there could be a correlation. I'm not familiar with all the different kinds of proteins the body has.

Thanks for taking the time to answer thise questions for me.
 Reynolds706 - Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:25 am

OK.. just got of the hospital yesterday for acute abdominal pain which apparently is related to UTIs. I was admited Sunday after having been in the urologist office on Friday who claimed my urine was fine and I had a post-void residual of 90 cc but it was nothing to be concerned about. While in the hospital my U/A once again showed protein in the urine and 1+ Bacteria.... I'm not sure of anything because I did not actually see the report. A CT of my abdomen and pelvis was done in the hospital, but the only thing it showed was a cyst on the lower pole of the right kidney 2.5 cm in size.

I did do some interesting reading last night that I'd like to mention. I was reading on nephrotic syndrome and it mentioned that one of the characteristics was protien in the urine and a side effect or complication could be pulmonary embolisms.

Anyone familiar with nephrotic syndrome enough to know what other signs and symptoms I should look for? Any advice on things to tell or ask the doctor when i go for my visit? It's been my experience that sometimes people must PROD to get anything done... I'm to that point if I must.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us