Medical Specialty >> Nephrology

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/09/2017.

Forum Name: Nephrology Symptoms

Question: a trace of protein in my urine

noragz - Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:14 pm

this has me stressed out .....but I know its not not necessarily a sign of anything serious..could someone elaborate please
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:36 pm

User avatar Dear Scott,

Presence of trace proteins in the urine is normal. Having said that, however, i would like to have a little medical background about you. Why did you have a urine analysis and was it a random urine analysis or was it a 24 hours collection?

Thank you very much for using our website https://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped and waiting for your response.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.
 noragz - Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:57 am

i was having stomach pains....consistent with constitpation...But my doctor being thourough thought a urine test would be a good idea. i also did an ex-ray. the ex-ray of the abdomin showed nothing unusual. The urine test came back with a little or a trace.of protein..can't remember there exact words. So they had me do a 24 hr urine test. This test included the following. 1. urine creatinine test 2. urine creatinine clearence test .........3. urine protein test.....i wont know the results until i turn in my urine tomorrow morning along with a blood test. But my doctor did not give me any particulars or concerns he may have had. please elaborate. PS my diet is pretty high in protein and I had acedaminaphen (Tylenol )the day before the initial urine test. I understand that pain medication can affect the result
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:18 am

User avatar Dear Scott,

Thank you very much for the update.

A random specimen is not the best and unless the patient has other signs of renal disease or diabetes or hypertension, i wouldn't have gone to the 24 hours urine test. i think your doctor is a little bit cautious.

Keep me updated about the results of your test.

Thank you very much for using our website https://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us