Medical Specialty >> Nephrology

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Nephrology Symptoms

Question: a trace of protein in my urine

noragz - Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:14 pm

this has me stressed out .....but I know its not not necessarily a sign of anything serious..could someone elaborate please
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:36 pm

User avatar Dear Scott,

Presence of trace proteins in the urine is normal. Having said that, however, i would like to have a little medical background about you. Why did you have a urine analysis and was it a random urine analysis or was it a 24 hours collection?

Thank you very much for using our website https://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped and waiting for your response.

noragz - Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:57 am

i was having stomach pains....consistent with constitpation...But my doctor being thourough thought a urine test would be a good idea. i also did an ex-ray. the ex-ray of the abdomin showed nothing unusual. The urine test came back with a little or a trace.of protein..can't remember there exact words. So they had me do a 24 hr urine test. This test included the following. 1. urine creatinine test 2. urine creatinine clearence test .........3. urine protein test.....i wont know the results until i turn in my urine tomorrow morning along with a blood test. But my doctor did not give me any particulars or concerns he may have had. please elaborate. PS my diet is pretty high in protein and I had acedaminaphen (Tylenol )the day before the initial urine test. I understand that pain medication can affect the result
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:18 am

User avatar Dear Scott,

Thank you very much for the update.

A random specimen is not the best and unless the patient has other signs of renal disease or diabetes or hypertension, i wouldn't have gone to the 24 hours urine test. i think your doctor is a little bit cautious.

Keep me updated about the results of your test.

Thank you very much for using our website https://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.