Medical Specialty >> Nephrology

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/09/2017.

Forum Name: Nephrology Symptoms

Question: rta/fanconis and hypokalemia

bpangel3 - Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:13 pm

Hi,
I'm 23 yr old female diagnosed with proximal rta (renal tubular acidosis), fanconis and severe chronic hypokalemia. the rta and fanconis is result of heavy metal poisoning. I have a history of frequent kidney stones and am on amiloride and slow k (8-16 mlqv) a day. I was on k-dur 20 mlqv x 12 a day but was unable to hold them down.

Lately, I have noticed my finger nails have been purple and my toe nails too. I am wondering if this may be related to anything renally. Also heavy palpitations and heaviness in my chest when I lay on my side. I currently self diagnosed a kidney infection, see my dr tuesday for antibiotics and have passed two stones in less then 2 weeks. Also, the current amount of potassium is not enough to keep my levels up, averaging between 2.5 to 3.0. Dietary potassium is not enough and I cannot take k-dur without vomitting and k-lor with vomitting due to the chloride. Any suggestions? In order to match the k-dur doseage I would require over half a bottle of slow k per day.

thank you :!:
 bpangel3 - Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:26 pm

I also forgot to ask, when I'm doing cardio exercises, my heart rate jumps into the 170's, 180's and sometimes higher, within a few minutes of starting. Is this somehow related? Could my repeated bouts of hypokalemia have caused permanent heart damage and should I be seen by a cardiologist to be sure? Is the exercise thing normal, even when accompanied by shortness of breath and chest pain. I have asthma as well.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us