Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

Back to Neurology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/04/2017.

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Head Injury

 Patty65 - Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:31 pm

My mom is 90 years old and an insulin dependant diabetic. SHe has had a low thyroid, but is currently taking medication for that. Four weeks ago she fell and has fallen 3 times since. She has been in the hospital and skiled nursing. She will have a day or two of getting up and being aware and logical and walking and eating and then two ro three days of being non-repsonsive and almsot semi-conscious. We cannot wake her up. She complains of her head being numb on the back part of her skull above her neck. She says she is groggy and out of it when she starts to come around. We saw this over the past two years a few times and took her to emergency and they found nothing. Her blood sugar is managed fairly well. These episodes are coming closer and closer together. She has had probably 4 or 5 head scans the past four weeks, one as recently as today and they come back normal. WE ARE AT A LOSS.....please help us with ideas to ask the doctor to check. She is only on Tylenol for pain (650mg) as needed, her insulin and her thyroid tablet. Thanks so much!

Patty Lawrence/her daughter/Campo, Ca.
 syedhussain - Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:45 am

Dear Petty65: You have explained history of frequent falls in 99 years old lady-your mother having long standing Diabetes mellitis and Hypothyroidism. What you have not mentioned is the extent of other symptoms and her metabolic profile. in addition you have come forward with history of "Eposodic confusional states" with intermitten lucid intervals. Taking her to ER, getting her blood sugar done and an x-ray is not sufficient. In my opinion kindly have a consult with an Endocrinologist and a Psychiatrist or Neurologist. She needs proper evaluation and investigations. Upon having a clean bill of health from the consultants would take care of your worries and prevent further deterioration in you mothers Psychological and physical status. The sooner the better!
Thank you/regards,
 Patty65 - Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:05 pm

Thanks for your advice. Today my mom (who is 90) is being seen by a neurologist. She has been seen by a psychiatrist and she checked out ok there. So I am hoping this will do the trick. You mentioned an endocrinologist...what would he look for?

Thanks so much!!!!!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us