Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Question: almost passing out

frankiehall27 - Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:47 pm

I am a 27 year old female.Ive had no problems with my brian in the past.my grandfather passed away from colon cancer but nobody else in my family that I know of has or had cancer.my problem is that sometimes my head will start to feel the fluttery feeling right before you pass out.I get light headed and dizzy and it only lasts for 4 seconds or so then its gone.it happens every day.I have no idea what it could be.I have swollen tonsils (for 2 months)im seeing an ear nose and throat specialist on monday for the tonsils.he wants to get a cat scan of my sinus.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:29 am

User avatar Hi frankiehall27,
Do the dizzy spells present with changing head position? Have you noticed anything in particular which seems to correlate with these episodes?
 frankiehall27 - Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:45 pm

yes,mostly when i turn my head too fast.i honestly don't know the meaning of correlate,i looked it up but i just don't understand.im going to guess it means other symptoms....other symptoms might be...swollen tonsils.not sure if its related but thats about it.thanks for the answer.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:40 am

User avatar Hi frankiehall27,
Aside from cardiac origin "dizzy spells" another condition that produces symptoms of dizziness typically when changing position of the head, ie, moving your head in a particular direction, moving your head quickly, turning over in bed, etc., is Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV). Symptoms may include intense dizziness, which may last only a few seconds, a feeling that things are spinning, loss of balance, nausea etc. This typically affects one ear. The inner ear contains fluid and hair-like sensors and crystals that detect head motion. When one of these crystals become loosened it causes irritation to the nerve endings and produces a signal that the things are moving when they are actually still. Factors that may proceed this condition include upper respiratory infections, inner ear infections, etc. There are medications that provide some relief of symptoms. Keep in mind that I am not implying this is the cause of your dizziness, only that it could be considered a possibility. You should have some definite answers after your diagnostic procedure. Best wishes and I hope when your time permits you will consider posting an update.