Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

Back to Neurology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/04/2017.

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Have weakness in hands. Need help please!

 Carolyn - Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:42 pm

:cry: I have found over the past few months my hands and arms have been getting weaker. For instance when I hold my coffee cup my hand makes a sudden downward jerking motion and I suddenly lose my hold of it and I have to quickly use my other hand to hold it too or I will drop the cup. This happens with both hands and with whatever I am holding. Abou 8 years ago I had a cervical fusion of the C-4, C-5 discs because of severe neck neuropathc arm pain, with numbness and then I did drop things without even realizing I was going to. All but the pain went away after the surgery. I still have severe pain in my neck and had an emg and an MRI done about a year ago. They said it was normal. At that time I had a little weakness in my hands but its much worse now. What could be causing this. If it isnt my discs then what could it be and are there any other tests that could be done. I feel like I am falling apart (no pun intended)and I am tired of having this and being told I am "normal". Can you help?

 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:59 pm

User avatar Carolyn,
I can tell you quite clearly that the weakness in your hands is "not normal". If your doctor is ignoring this then you should seek a second opinion. I think you should consult a neurologist /neurosurgeon in contrast to an orthopedic surgeon. Progressive weakness in the hands warrants urgent medical attention.

A neurologist can tell just by examining you where the exact location of nerve injury is from there he can request a particular investigation that would pinpoint and confirm his diagnosis.


| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us