Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

Back to Neurology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/04/2017.

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Cervical Neck Injury

 Beth Norr - Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:57 am

I am a 47 year old female. Two years ago I was in an automobile accident and had a ruptured ligament C-6 to T-1.
I also have ruptured disced C-5-C7 and buldging discs further down. I am experiencing pain and numbness in both arms half-way down and in my legs at times.
The biggest concern is the swelling over my cervical spine still 2 years later. Especially if I stand or use my arms too much. I was in a hard collar for 7 months, have had 3 epidurals, and 1 medial branch block. I am on neurontin, lyrica, skalaxin, lidoderm patch, and darvacet, (prn). I have been evaluated by 2 different p.t.s and they both have said my neck still doesn't feel or look stable. The last mri said I have a looping of my ligament at C-6-C-7. And...the swelling is csf interruption. Is there any help for this? It didn't show slippage but I am in a constant guarded state...I am getting worse.
Thanks for your opinion.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:00 pm

User avatar Hello,

Each disc is formed of a central gel-like inside (nucleus pulposus), surrounded by an outer ring (annulus fibrosus).

When this softer component ruptures (herniates) through the outer ring it press directly on nerve roots and irritate adjacent nervous tissue.

These conditions can be treated in the majority of cases with medical and conservative treatment (non surgical).

Surgery for cervical disc herniation is only considered if symptoms are not controlled after at least one month (6 weeks) of medical and conservative treatment, or in very complicated cases with serious symptoms.

A spinal physician is the one able to determine if surgery is the best treatment for the patient and which operation technique would be most beneficial.

Hope you find this information useful.
Best regards,
 drgreghaitz - Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:01 pm

User avatar Sorry to hear about your condition. Sounds like you have pronounced cervical spine instability. This is made worse by wearing a cervical collar for several months. The muscles that support the neck are likely doconditioned and weak. I recommend cervical stability rehab for starters. Your spinal health care professional should be able to refer you to a good PT or DC who knows cervical rehab and conditioning exercises for the neck. consider searching for a good rehab Doctor of Chiropractic. Hope this gives you some new direction.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us