Doctors Lounge - Neurology AnswersBack to Neurology Answers List
If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.
Date of last update: 10/04/2017.
Forum Name: Neurology Topics
|lucasbenz - Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:12 pm||
Hello, and let me first say thank you for this service!
Im 24 male, 190 pounds 6'2 in decent shape.
ill give you a quick overview of whats going on and my symptoms
1) Ive been getting dizzy spells for about 3 months now on and off no vertigo, I just feel like im gonna pass out. symptoms went away for about 3 weeks and then about 2 weeks ago came back and are worse than ever. Im dizzy all day now instead of just a few times during the day. it starts from when I wake up till I go to bed...
2) about 1 week ago I started waking up feeling very dizzy. this happend once or twice a night. Now the last few days I wake up every hour feeling very dizzy. It lasts around 10 seconds then goes away.
3) 2 days ago I passed out at work.
4) lately my legs have been falling asleep from just sitting in a chair for 5 min or more.
5) Im very fatigued... (probably due to the fact I cant get good REM sleep).
6) The last few nights when I wake up dizzy its sometimes hard to breath, not in the sense that I cant breath, but that my brain is very very slow in telling my lungs to breath almost if im on very severe tranqs.
7) also my eyes a very sensitive now, I cant look at lights for long times as they begin to hurt
ive gone to my Internist several times, and been to the cardiologist my heart is perfect. My internist said he thinks I have sleep apnea but this still doesnt explain why im so dizzy all the time and why I wake up dizzy... could I have MS? Lyme Disease, some other neurological disorder? anxiety? please help im very scared and desperate
|Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:37 am||
While it is possible that your symptoms are related to MS, I think it is fairly unlikely. More likely is the possibiltiy of an otolyth. An otolyth is essentially a stone that gets lodged in the balance centers of the ear. This causes them to continually fire causing dizziness and often nausea/vomiting.
Given your fainting without dizziness, other possibilities are orthostatic hypotension (low BP from standing too quickly) or possibly some electrolyte abnormalities.
I would recommend that you continue to follow up with your doctor. If the symptoms are not resolving you may consider seeing a neurologist.
|| Check a doctor's response to similar questions|
Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?
Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community
Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.
Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.