Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

Back to Neurology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/04/2017.

Forum Name: Headaches

Question: lump on the back of my head

 phil10ca - Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:10 pm

Just now noticed I have a lump on the back of my head, right in the middle, and where the hole in the back of a ball cap is. It doesn't hurt, and it feels hard to the touch. But not sensitive. Just wondering what this could be.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:37 pm

User avatar Hello,

It would be more helpful if you can inform us more about the characters of this swelling like size, associated scalp infection, history of recent trauma etc.

This swelling could be :
- Folliculitis, it is an infection of the hair follicles. Forming small, white-headed Bumps in hair follicles (roots).
Lesions may be Itching. Superficial folliculitis resolves spontaneously in a few days, while deep or recurring folliculitis should be medically treated.

- Seborrheic dermatitis, which occurs where the skin is oily or greasy like the scalp.
Secondary bacterial infections may occur forming swellings that need antibiotic local treatment.

- An enlarged lymph node as reactionary to infection in the area drained by them like scalp infections or lesions.

Most of the lesions are soft to firm , may be painful and tender.

- A traumatic lesion which may pass unnoticed. The swelling is felt as hard but pain and tenderness may be present.

Direct clinical examination is essential.
Keep us updated.
Best regards.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us