Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

Back to Neurology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/04/2017.

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Lightheaded and difficulty concentrating...please help!!

 aprilgirl12 - Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:32 pm

Hi, I am a 20 year old female. over the past week or so I've been feeling lightheaded to the extent where I am unable to concentrate on even simple things, such as watching TV. I have never experienced anything like this before, and have no other major health concerns now or in the past (the only medical issue I have now is an enlarged spleen with an unknown cause). As well, I have also been getting sharp pains in my head in my forehead and behind my left eye that occurs during the lightheadedness. The feeling sort of resembles fatigue but only in my head, like it is foggy and swaying, and only seems to get better when I close my eyes. It usually gets worse as the day progresses and when I try to concentrate/focus on something, my visions gets sort of foggy as well. I am pretty concerned since it is interfering with my daily functioning, any help and any idea of what may be causing this would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks in advance.
 Marceline F, RN - Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:58 am

User avatar Dear Aprilgirl12,
Have you reported your concerns to your primary care physician? There are two areas that could each individually and collectively be associated with your symptoms. You mention vision problems. Your PCP may recommend first of all a Cat Scan of the brain, to see if there are any identifiable abnormalities that could be the cause of your mixed symptoms: lightheadedness, pain, and vision disturbances. An opthalmologist (eye specialist) may be of value to determine if there is any bad situations with your eyes that may be causing pain and vision problems. A neurologist may wish to do an MRI/MRA of the brain, or perhaps an EEG to see if there are any functional issues in your brain that could be causing also the pain and vision problems. Early intervention is important, both to identify the source of your problems, and to start proper intervention. In any event, you do need to pursue professional medical assessment as soon as you can. If you do not have a PCP, then I suggest you present to the local Emergency Room where the ER physician can start the investigation.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us