Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

Back to Neurology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/04/2017.

Forum Name: Headaches

Question: Headache/Memory Loss

 julie - Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:05 am

I'm a 40 yr old female..I've recently had a mri because of problems with short term memory, speech problems, word problems, constant Headache, dizziness, Nausea, moodiness, forgeting things or where I put things. Can't always remember conversations or I forget what we were talking about etc.
I've had an mri and will be going to the neuroligist but I'm curious since my regular doctor won't tell me anything what exactly my results mean..can you help ? could this possibly be early alzheimers ? this is how the MRI reads

mild paranasal sinus mucosal thickening and partial opacification of the mastoid air cells.
mild burden of foci of abnormal signal in the supratentorial subcortical white matter is nonspecific. The differential diagnosis includes migraines and other causes of microvascular disease. This would be an atypical imaging manifestation of demyelinating disease....
 Marceline F, RN - Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:22 am

User avatar Dear Julie,
I hope you have an appointment with your neurologist soon so you can get definitive answers to your questions. I am sure your regular doctor is not giving you a diagnosis since the results of the MRI really need to be reviewed by a neurologist who can diagnose the problem. Since internet discussion of disease processes are limited, diagnosis of specific problems with serious tones such as you relay, really needs to be done face to face with a specialist. If the results of the MRI are accurate, further differentiating tests may be necessary. One of the demylenating diseases is MS (multiple sclerosis), and there are treatment options available, and support groups available all over the country. There are diagnostic tests that can either correlate or refute these findings, and the neurologist would be the best one to make the determination which to order for you. Then, once the root cause is identified, the best treatment plan can be put into place.
 julie - Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:23 am

Dear Marceline ,

Thanks for replying, I will be seeing a neuroligist on friday and hopefully get more answers. I've just been really stressed lately because I'm so worried about all this..



| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us