Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

Back to Neurology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/04/2017.

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: paralyzed fingers

DLeventhal - Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:10 am

I am al healthy 35 yo female, on no medications. Earlier today I experienced strange symptoms which included a paralysis of my left pinkie and ring finger, some dizziness, and blurred eyesight. It only lasted for about a minute, but it worries me. What could cause these symptoms? I've never experienced anything like it before.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:21 pm

User avatar There are a few possibilities including a variation of a migraine, seizure, or, most concerning, a transient ischemic attack (TIA)

A TIA is essentially like getting chest pain before having a heart attack. TIA's can be early warnings of an impending stroke. The symptoms are similar to a stroke but clear up very quickly.

I would advise you to see your doctor for a full evaluation to see if any work up should be done regarding TIA's. Given that you are healthy and young, a TIA is less likely but due to its seriousness it should be evaluated for.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us