Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

Back to Neurology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/04/2017.

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Could I have brain damage?

 yoyo264 - Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:59 am

I am a 25 year old male who has been experiencing ADHD like symptoms coupled with depression for as long as I remember. I tend to be rather impulsive, irritable (even when trying not to be) weirdly paranoid at times, and I'm horrible at organization and focusing on tasks... I don't speak unless I have to usually, and am quite the introvert, although I'm told I was a happy and sociable child. My libido also seems to be diminished, and I also have problems having conversations sometimes, although I am considered in my circle and by my family and friends to be a very smart person.

When I was 7 or so I ran into the bumper of a car while playing tag. It split open my head right at the base of my front hairline, above my left eye. I still have a big scar from this injury.

I was wondering if it was worth trying to get tested to see if my symptoms may be a result of or aggravated by brain damage. What are the tests they could do to find out? What kind of therapy, drugs or otherwise, might help with frontal lobe damage if I do have it?

Thank you for any help you can give.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:29 pm

User avatar We don't really know all the subtleties of brain damage. It is possible that you are having some effects from the incident when you were younger.

I would be more inclined to think there is something else going on, such as an underlying level of depression or possibly bipolar disorder. Many of your symptoms can be caused by depression. Milder forms of these diseases such as dysthymia or cyclothymia may be present and can have similar symptoms.

You may want to consider seeing a psychiatrist for an evaluation. They can also make any recommendations regarding any needed neurological testing.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us