Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Question: White matter volume loss on MRI

wondering mom - Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:04 pm

My 2 yr. old son has had minor-moderate motor problems since birth. Recently the new Rehabilitation Doctor, we visited, sent him for a total brain and spine MRI's. They showed white matter volume loss on the right side of his brain. What does this mean?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:35 pm

User avatar White matter changes can be quite non-specific. It may be that your son has some decreased activity of his brain in that particular area of associated grey matter leading to decreased nerves running through the white matter.

The white matter is basically like the highway of nerve signals. There is really not any significant level of new nerve signals being developed there but, rather, this is the pathway section that the nerve signals developed in the grey matter travel on.

My best recommendation to you would be to see a neurologist to review the findings and get an expert opinion. I suspect the best treatment for your son will be continued physical therapy.