Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

Back to Neurology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/04/2017.

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: 1. Uneven pupils, why? 2. Is inversion for back pain safe?

Maffer - Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:18 am

First:
I've had periodically uneven pupils (my right is usually more dilated than the left during most days, but often they're both equal) for over a year, along with mild visual disturbances that come and go, while my vision remains good. I've consulted doctors who say they can't find anything wrong. So, is it possible that I just get uneven pupils and there's nothing to be worried about?

Second:
I've got a bit of neck and back pain that's muscular, and by hanging upside-down using Teeter Hang-Ups gravity boots and inversion table I can get a lot of relief from muscle pain. My plan is to hang upside-down for 5-10 minutes a day. I'm 19, very physically active (I go running around 5 miles several times a week and do a lot more exercise beside that) and skinny, and I have eased into hanging upside-down just as the product manufacturer advised. But before I make this a habit, is this safe for my brain and eyes?

Thanks in advance!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:26 pm

User avatar 1) Having unequal pupils occasionally can be normal. It is referred to as anisocoria. If you have been evaluated and everything was OK I would not be worried about it.

2) I am not familiar with any contraindications for inversion. It is probably safe (but I cannot say it is 100% safe as I simply don't know). I would not recommend hanging upside down for too long at a time. The time you are suggesting is likely fine. There should be no damage to your brain or eyes.

Best wishes.
 Maffer - Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:50 am

Many thanks :)

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us