Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

Back to Neurology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/04/2017.

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Numbness in foot...Doctor ordered a Bone Scan?

 cdette - Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:38 am

I am 50 years old, female. I have scoliosis , and a tilted pelvis, so obviously back issues through the years. No surgeries on the back, no injections.

Usually when I get tingling or numbness in the arm, I have gone to a chiropractor and get relief. However, now I have a numb outter part of the left foot for a couple of months. If I sit with the leg stretched out it gets worse, so try to lower it, but the feeling never goes away. You know someone is touching it, it just feels asleep constantly. There is not pain, just the numbness , only on the outside of the left foot, and maybe a little up the ankle, but not beyond that.
(Most of the back issues lean toward the left side, that is the shorter leg, and the hip with the most issues of feeling it rotate when you do exercises)

Regular MD sent me for a "MRI"-only showed arthistis setting in, then "Doppler"-ok, blood getting everywhere so the foot is getting bloodflow, "bone density" -which showed some osteoporosis setting in the left hip, and another hospital test something which was like tasers connected to a machine to register reflex, then also used acupuncture type needles inserted in both legs and then lower back and wiggled to see electrical responses on a screen. I have had x-rays which does show some bulging disc in the lower back.

Now going to a bone and joint doctor - who first put me on a steroid pack for a week, Mobic, and now is trying Lyrica-pregabalin for nerve.

But he has also scheduled me for a Bone Scan this Friday? What does that have to do with a pinched nerve? Is this really the next step for an obvious pinched nerve? Do I need to go in search of another specialist? Maybe bone and joint is not where I need to be. Do I need a neurologist or DO. Would an inversion table help releive some of the pressure on the discs?

Thank you.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:24 pm

User avatar Hi Cdette,

Your symptoms certainly sound like they could be from a pinched nerve in the spine. Your doctor may want the bone scan because it can help show any areas of compression fractures/inflammation in the bone. If this correlates with the area that the nerve would be in it may be that you have a compression fracture causing the nerve outlet to be narrowed and press on the nerve.

I would recommend you see an orthopedic or spine doctor for further evaluation. Generally surgery is avoided unless there is no other option. Physical therapy can be very helpful.

Also, if there is evidence of a compression fracture, or even if there isn't given your osteoporosis, you may need a treatment program to help prevent further bone loss.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us