Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

Back to Neurology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/04/2017.

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Ulnar nerve damage & carpal tunnel

 Shadow_ Dancer - Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:36 pm

I am 53, F, Cardiac TX (10 yrs), Ulnar damage both arms, carpel tunnel Lt, arm. Diagnosed over 1 year ago. Electrical test done with neurosurgeon.

Left hand/fingers completely numb, except middle finger. Severe muscle (?) cramps in hand & fingers, causing fingers to clutch. Wrist & top of hand also numb. Pain in forearm.

In the past month I have had pain in my neck & shoulder. The pain travels from the neck & shoulder down my arm. Is this from the Ulnar nerve?

I have tried cortisone injections and other than being very painful they only seem to help for a day or two.

I am having considerable trouble finding a surgeon that will operate on my arm. The surgeon that I went to said that I did need surgery, and explained what would happen if I did not get it, but because of my TX he would not preform it. (Which is rather mind boggling cosidering....., the only difference between me having surgery & U having surgery is that I need pre & post steroids) At any rate, is there anything that I can do to alleviate the pain and clutching? Also is there a non surgical treatment available that would work?
Thank you.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:20 pm

User avatar HI Shadow_Dancer,

Generally, if surgery is needed there isn't much that will help except surgery. However, you may want to consider seeing a neurologist for an evaluation. They may know of some treatments that I am not familiar with.

The pain down your arm may be from the ulnar nerve, or it may be from one of the other nerves that run down the arm. The neurologist can help determine this also.

I would advise you to continue searching for a surgeon that will operate if needed. It may be helpful to get a letter from your cardiac surgeon stating what is needed for surgery from your heart's standpoint. This may help alleviate the orthopedic surgeons concerns.

Best wishes.
Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us