Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Question: How to get rid of Migraine headaches?

Mbunaman - Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:15 pm

I think I have a chronic migraine headache around my forehead. It's been going on for a year now and it comes and goes. It really comes on strong when I'm doing school work. How can I cure this? Thank you
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:44 am

User avatar There are many different types of headaches and when you have them consistently, as you describe, it is important to have them evaluated by a doctor. It is necessary to discern whether or not it is truly migraine or if there is some other identifiable cause. There are treatments to help, including prescription medications, once an accurate diagnosis is made.

There is also the possibility that the headache is a symptom of another condition and you will find this on the symptom list for many different illnesses. So, again, getting a proper diagnosis is key to the treatment plan. There is no single cure for all headaches.

If the doctor is unable to find any particular reason for your headaches, then treating the symptoms will be the best recourse. You may even be able to find some non-medical therapies that would help such as relaxation, yoga, or exercise. Some people even find that certain foods trigger headaches. If you are able to find a common denominator, you may be able to eliminate the headaches. Allergies are also culprits for some people and you can develop an allergy at any time in your life, so don't rule out the possibility just because you haven't had them in the past.

I wish we could solve this complex puzzle more easily. Take care.