Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Question: Facial numbness and inability to close eye after head injury

candilyn - Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:11 pm

Age 51, Male, About 12 hours after being hit on the head by a vice grip my husband begin experiencing facial numbness from the lips up the left side of his cheek bone and is unable to blink with his left eye. Now, 24 hours after the injury, the symptoms seem to be easing up but have not resolved and he refuses to seek medical treatment. Should I be concerned and force his to seek treatment. He was hit toward the left side top of the head. There is no visible swelling and he does not have a headache. There was no dizziness at the time of the injury or loss of conciousness only a bad headache. He is not on any medications at this point.
 dlugose - Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:34 pm

candilyn wrote:Age 51, Male, About 12 hours after being hit on the head by a vice grip my husband begin experiencing facial numbness from the lips up the left side of his cheek bone and is unable to blink with his left eye. Now, 24 hours after the injury, the symptoms seem to be easing up but have not resolved and he refuses to seek medical treatment. Should I be concerned and force his to seek treatment. He was hit toward the left side top of the head. There is no visible swelling and he does not have a headache. There was no dizziness at the time of the injury or loss of conciousness only a bad headache. He is not on any medications at this point.

He should of course be examined by a doctor as soon as possible. Aside from the possibility of permanent nerve damage, there is also a possibility of brain damage. I suspect he does not want to see a doctor anyways. It is possible the nerve damage will heal on its own, but what a risk he is taking! If he is afraid of legal trouble for himself or the other person, have him ask a lawyer if the doctor would be required to report what he found.
I hope in this relationship you are not often dealing with problems that your husband involves you in. Perhaps one or both of you could also use some counseling? If you can't look after your husband, at least look after yourself. Please take care.
 candilyn - Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:27 pm

Thank you for the reply. He finally agreed to go to the doctor and after a CT scan for head injury and an MRI for a possible stroke, it was determined that the hit on the head and the symptoms developing a few hours laters was a conincidence and he was diagnosed with Bells Palsy. He follows up with a neurologist next week. Again, thanks.