Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

Back to Neurology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/04/2017.

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Tingling/pain in back, right wrist and fingers

 ethompso1 - Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:28 pm

I am a 30 year old female recently diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome. I am currently wearing a splint on my wrist and taking an anti-inflammatory. I am concerned that it is not carpal tunnel because the pain is not only in my wrist and hand but also in my upper back on that side and all along my arm through my fingers. The pain/numbness is worst in the pinkie but it feels strained really through all of my fingers. It is aggravated with use (esp. when at my desk typing) and hurts progressively worse as the day goes on. It feels like I am pulling a string, starting at my back and continuing to the fingers. The numbness comes and goes. I am a busy professional and mother of a toddler looking for ways to ease and stop the pain.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:59 pm

User avatar HI Ethompso1,

If you are having symptoms involving your entire arm there is a definite possibility that you may have involvement higher up, possibly even at the spine.

Also, carpal tunnel syndrome involves compression of the median nerve that supplies sensation to the thumb, index, middle and the thumb side of the ring finger. It does not provide sensation to the pinkie. So, if you are having pain in your pinkie you most likely have some involvement of the ulnar nerve (which can develop a syndrome just like carpal tunnel).

I would recommend that you see an orthopedic surgeon for further evaluation.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us