Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

Back to Neurology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/04/2017.

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Neurotoxicity hx and Retin-A

redwingedblackbird - Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:12 pm

Hello,

I am a 31 year old female who is slowly recovering from medication induced neurotoxicity [for example, many rounds of Flagyl, Vancomycin, isoniazid, nitrous oxide with extensive dental work].

My related diagnoses are: 2003 - pos. ppd 16mm induration, 2004 - hip surgery with C.diff, 2005 - gastroparesis, 2006 - dysautonomia and postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome, 1995/2006 - B12 deficiency.

Currently I experience CNS deficits/symptoms and have been advised to avoid all neurotoxic meds and supplements.

Question 1: is it inadvisable to use Retin-A micro topical acne gel with my neurologically challenged history?

Question 2: Do you have any suggestions regarding neuro-supportive supplements such as acetyl L-carnitine, alpha lipoic acid, NAC?

Current meds: Propranolol, Wellbutrin, B12 injections, Singulair.

Thank you so much, RWBB.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:05 pm

User avatar Hi RWBB,

Most of the literature suggests that oral retin A can be associated with neurotoxicity. There are also a few reports of topical retin A being associated with neurotoxicity as well. This link has not been as well established as the oral route; however, it does seem possible in some cases for toxicity to occur.

If you choose to use this product I would recommend you be very cautious and if any symptoms begin to appear you should discontinue its use immediately.

Regarding neurologically supportive supplements I am not knowledgeable enough about them to say with any confidence whether they work or not. I would add, though, that vitamin B12 deficiency can cause significant neurological effects so be sure keep your levels up.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us