Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Forum Name: Headaches

Question: Loss of sensation on L side

Desert - Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:08 am

I am a 25 yr. old female with migraine headaches, dx'd since 2002. I now take Elavil 50 mg, Cartia XT, and Tizanadine daily, and Relpax or Maxalt at onset of migraines. I have a PFO, with a lot of blood flow through it. They are on my left side exclusively, and I recently noticed I have a 30% loss of sensation on my left side, from my face down to the soles of my feet. I discovered while in the ER last time that my left side was sluggish and no response with the babinski test on my left foot, butI got a hyper response on my right foot. I might have a bit more sensation today, 3 days later, but the loss of sensation is constant and worrying. I only noticed it last week at physical therapy. My question is, what is this new symptom caused by, is my body worsening in some way?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:22 pm

User avatar Hi Desert,

I would recommend you see a neurologist to have this evaluated. There are a few possibilities including a complex migraine that can account for this numbness.

You may need some brain imaging, such as an MRI, to better work this up. Your doctor can refer you to a good neurologist if needed.