Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Question: optic nerve

meghna - Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:34 am

i'm a 23 yr old girl who met with a severe accident 8 mnths ago. i had numerous facial injuries and this included the severing of my optic nerve. now i want to know if there is any chance for regeneration or healing in the future? i do know that it isnt possible right now but i know research and work is on at the moment. but are the chances good or is there any other way to handle this situation?
thankyou
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:44 pm

User avatar Hi Meghna,

As you've said, currently there isn't much available to help with a severed optic nerve.

There is significant research currently going on in the field of nerve regeneration. It is quite possible that at some point in the future there may be a successful treatment for this. New breakthroughs are happening all the time.

I'm not particularly familiar with the current research areas well enough to give a time line but I would anticipate that there won't be anything new for this in the next few years. Having said that, though, really all it takes is the right medical discovery to unlock a new, revolutionary treatment.