Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Question: Pain with M.S.

ElizabethRE - Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:26 am

Hello, I am a 50 year old female who was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis 10 years ago after symptoms of trigeminal neuralgia sent me for my first MRI and some small lesions were found. I have had neck surgery and a hysterectomy since then. Before that I had my appendix out and a hernia fixed, both over 25 years ago. I have a 25 year old and a 12 year old, both normal pregnancies. My main symptom for years has been pain. My skin hurts to touch, pressure points, burning pain and stiffness in my legs. I was also recently tested for myasthenia gravis because of my eye , but left with a not sure diagnosis.I have many female first cousins with lupus and RA. My family has high blood pressure, my brothers and parents, heart disease. I have never had high blood pressure and my blood work is always great. I am on neurontin, vicodin, ativan, estrace, previcid. I would like to get off these pills. I have been tested for years and no answer about why I have pain and stiffness. I excercise, am a normal weight , volunteer and have a positive attitude. I have been in therapy, mental and physical and am willing to look at any advice to help with pain. The stiffness is getting worse. Thank you for any info.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:17 pm

User avatar Hi ElizabethRE,

Have you seen a rheumatologist? Your pain may certainly be from MS but usually MS attacks come and go. They are not generally constant.

Seeing a rheumatologist may help in evaluation for a different cause. A neurologist may also be of help, although I'm guessing that you're already seeing one for your MS.

Your tingling pain may be due to a peripheral neuropathy. I think further evaluation would be in order.

Keep in mind, though, that I am going off of a paragraph of information and don't have your full record. Please do not consider what I advise to be absolute truth. Your doctors will be able to tell you if these things would be appropriate.

ElizabethRE - Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:20 pm

Hello Dr. Lowe,

Thank you so much for responding. I will see a rheumatologist again. I saw one years ago, but he referred me back to the neurologist. Since then the pattern of stiffness and pain has been more consistent and getting worse. I feel like I'm freezing up.

Thank you again for your idea and I will let you know what I find out.

Sincerely, Elizabeth