Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

Back to Neurology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/04/2017.

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Sudden tingling/numb on left side after spinal manipulation

Kelli - Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:34 am

I am a 52 year old female, currently receiving physical therapy for an acute lower left back strain. I take prescription Zoloft at a low dose of 25 mg per day and a long history of migraines since age 17. On my last p.t. visit, my therapist was doing a spinal massage and then did a lot of heavy pressing on pressure points on and near my lower and mid spine. I rolled over on the table and almost immediately, felt pins and needles sensations on the top of my head and left side of my face. I mentioned it to the therapist and he said my face was all red. About 30 seconds later, the pins and needles feeling was in my left leg, then 20-30 seconds later, in my left arm. By now he had me get up and said to get a drink of water and relax. I walked fine, was not off balance, did not slur or anything, but my arm felt weak, and my vision was a bit like a classic migraine where there were some foggy spots in my vision, for about 3 minutes. The therapist had me sit down to take my blood pressure. I had just come there from my regular doctor appt where my blood pressure was 120/60, which is fairly normal for me. Now it was reading 176/80. He had me sit there and kept taking b/p readings until it returned to 120/80 and I felt better. It took about 45 minutes in all.
My question is, it seems coincidental this happened immediately after the spine pressure he was performing. Is that possible? Or should I be very concerned it could be a stroke? My father had a stroke when he was 62. Thank you
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:24 pm

User avatar It is likely impossible for us to say if this is coincidental or something different entirely (like a stroke). I would not think stroke based on your description, but there is also a fairly common condition called TIA which is kind of a mini-stroke. If you should experience something like this again, I would recommend getting to your emergency department right away for evaluation because if you do have a stroke, time can be of the essence in your healing process. This is one reason it's good to know your family health history.

Best wishes

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us