Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

Back to Neurology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/04/2017.

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: als fears

ny2125 - Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:15 pm

i have had various twitches on my body for the last 3-4 years. an eyelid, calf, back, etc. would flare up every once in a while. i was scared of als at first but learned that twitches w/als come w/dying muscle and atrophy.

now for the past few days my knuckle/hand have been hurting. like i hit a wall w/my hand. mostly my index finger and thumb. the pain moves sometimes to my wrist and forearm but mostly in the hand. i can still function w/the hand. i do lift weights and type and write a lot. if this was carpal tunnel, would the pain move around??? sometimes i feel like it radiates (the pain).

my main fear is als. i am just so fearful of this disease and have read about a local young man my age w/it. i am 32.

how does als present??? how rare is it??? how do you know if you have it??? i have seen my dr on a regular basis and am soon to go again. he gives me a good workup. i do have an underactive thyroid and take blood pressure meds too. don't know if this can be related. i also have high anxiety and ocd.

anything you or someone can relate to this i would appreciate it. thanks.
 ny2125 - Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:25 pm

forgot to mention that on my other hand, i will sometimes get the pain too. most of the pain is on the left hand area. i am right handed. right now, i just got done hitting a bucket of golf balls, and both hands (mostly index finger knuckles) are sore and a little painful. more so now than earlier today. i hate to run to the dr. for every little thing i feel, but i will if this continues for some time i guess. thanks again.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us