Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

Back to Neurology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/04/2017.

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: "Electric shock" feeling in left thumb

spazticorange - Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:59 am

There is a feeling like getting an electric shock every time I role something over the area between the intermediate phalanges and the distal phalanges. I can feel a nerve or vessel in that area but when I roll my finger over it, I get a nervy feeling in the distal phalanges of my left thumb.

This is kind of hindering me from playing my guitar and violin as I have to constantly release and re-apply pressure on my left thumb when playing different notes. Any advise as to what to do or what my problem really is would be helpful. Thanks
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:48 pm

User avatar Hi Spazticorange,

It sounds like you may have some compression of the nerve that supplies the thumb. This may be due to an overuse injury.

I would recommend you see your doctor to have this evaluated. Treatment may range from an anti-inflammatory to try to reduce any inflammation that is compressing the nerve, to surgical release of the nerve.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us