Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Question: ulnar nerve cut

tripper - Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:26 am

hi im 21 yr old female and dec 2005 i met with a glass table and cut my left arm wide open could see in it and everything (home alone to top it off) 9 stiches including arm and rudey finger cuts on both hands and healed ok cept for when i was getting the stiches out day before xmas it reopened anywho a couple months after it happened i noticed my arm was hurting alot and thought id check it out had a nerve conduction test done i severed my ULNAR nerve and its weaker then my right goes numb and tingley often cant lean on it and its been aching non stop for week i work with my arms so its not the best thing to have im due for another test in late october as it hasnt stopped hurting for weeks.

i would like to know wat exactly can be done to fix a severed ulnar nerve and how its done ??
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:18 am

User avatar Hi Tripper,

I would recommend you consult with an orthopedic or neurosurgeon about this. It is my understanding that this far out surgery is unlikely to be very helpful.

Physical and occupational therapy are often helpful. Peripheral nerves can regenerate with persistent therapy but it can take a long time.

Nerve pain can often be treated with a more specific type of medication that works well on nerves such as gabapentin.

Following up with a neurologist is another alternative to get a more expert opinion.

tripper - Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:27 am

i am seeing a nurologist 29th of oct for a nerve conduction test do i talk to him about this so its a medication and physical therapy thing only ?
 tripper - Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:40 pm

who would i see about the physical therapy gp or neuro ?