Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

Back to Neurology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/04/2017.

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: ulnar nerve cut

 tripper - Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:26 am

hi im 21 yr old female and dec 2005 i met with a glass table and cut my left arm wide open could see in it and everything (home alone to top it off) 9 stiches including arm and rudey finger cuts on both hands and healed ok cept for when i was getting the stiches out day before xmas it reopened anywho a couple months after it happened i noticed my arm was hurting alot and thought id check it out had a nerve conduction test done i severed my ULNAR nerve and its weaker then my right goes numb and tingley often cant lean on it and its been aching non stop for week i work with my arms so its not the best thing to have im due for another test in late october as it hasnt stopped hurting for weeks.

i would like to know wat exactly can be done to fix a severed ulnar nerve and how its done ??
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:18 am

User avatar Hi Tripper,

I would recommend you consult with an orthopedic or neurosurgeon about this. It is my understanding that this far out surgery is unlikely to be very helpful.

Physical and occupational therapy are often helpful. Peripheral nerves can regenerate with persistent therapy but it can take a long time.

Nerve pain can often be treated with a more specific type of medication that works well on nerves such as gabapentin.

Following up with a neurologist is another alternative to get a more expert opinion.

Best wishes.
 tripper - Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:27 am

i am seeing a nurologist 29th of oct for a nerve conduction test do i talk to him about this so its a medication and physical therapy thing only ?
 tripper - Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:40 pm

who would i see about the physical therapy gp or neuro ?

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us