Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

Back to Neurology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/04/2017.

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: hypnic jerks?

 johnnnie2000 - Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:05 am

26 male, i have now been diagnosed with myoclonic hypnic jerks simply like a sensation when falling asleep but neurologist have stated that they are very regular and unusually frequent i get these jerks during the day which i posted on here before, the week long ecg showed no signs of epilepsy but on other short ones has had small abnormailities can this be treated as i suffer severe fatigue also and dizziness, past diagnosis severe glandular fever ( the start of all my health problems never been the same since) oesuphagagitis now these jerks for years
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:11 pm

User avatar This falls in the category of movement disorders. It can occur alone or in conjunction with other neuromuscular conditions. In some cases it is triggered by an infection so it is possible your experience with glandular fever was responsible for the onset.

Sometimes when it interferes with eating, sleeping, walking or talking, medications such as tranquilizers are prescribed, though they are not without side effects so one must weight the risks and benefits of such treatment. Because of the complexity of this condition, it may even require a combination of meds.

Myoclonus may be a symptom in more complex and disturbing sleep disorders, such as restless legs syndrome, and may require treatment by a doctor who specializes in these conditions.

I am glad to see you are under a doctor's care for this. Continue to stay in touch and report your symptoms. It might be helpful to keep a diary to help you identify any possible triggers. You can share this information with your doctor as he/she tries to help you with this condition.

Best wishes

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us