Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Question: Polyneuropathy & swelling in legs, ankles

Goldy2 - Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:27 am

My 74-year-old mother suffers from polyneuropathy and is on pains meds. She has severe chronic swelling in both legs and ankles. Is this related to the neuropathy? (She's not diabetic.) Where can I learn more about polyneuropathy, its symptoms and treatment?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:35 pm

User avatar Hi Goldy2,

The swelling of the hands and feet may be related to decreased circulation in those areas. Sometimes polyneuropathies can begin to affect the blood vessels.

It may also be unrelated to the polyneuropathy. Swelling can also be an early sign that the heart is beginning to have some trouble.

I would recommend that she see her doctor about this to be sure that everything is OK. Treatment depends on the underlying cause.

Regarding where to get more information the internet is a great resource but I recommend you stick to more reputable sites such as this one or others like WebMD. Unfortunately there is a lot of false information out there and sorting it out can be difficult. Sites such as this one do the sorting for you.

Goldy2 - Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:28 pm

Thanks so much for the information, Dr. Lowe. I really appreciate it!