Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

Back to Neurology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/04/2017.

Forum Name: Headaches

Question: Pressure/Shaky Feeling in Head

 hippiewitch - Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:45 pm


I'm a 27 year old female with no past surgeries. My only diagnoses have been possible acid reflux and OCD. My Mother is in good health,and my Father is a heart patient. Diabetes runs on my Mom's side of the family,but I don't know anyone by name who has had it.

Sometimes later at night,such as last night,I get pressure in my head,mainly the back. It didn't last long but of course I'd like to find out what causes it and get it to stop. When I lay down,I also felt weird in my head but not the pressure. I guess it was a shaky type feeling and maybe kind of light headed too. I don't always get enough sleep and have had insomnia but I wasn't *that* sleep deprived. Maybe I got 4.5-5 hours of sleep. I don't know if lack of sleep could be causing it. Thanks.

 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:22 pm

User avatar Hello there,

Recurring headache in the back of the head (occipital) can occur due to several causes. Cervical (neck) nerve root conditions can lead to pain in the back of the head, neck and may be accompanied by tingling sensation in the neck. It can be diagnosed by a CT scan of the neck vertebrae as well as clinical signs.

Other causes include muscle spasms and tension headache which can occur especially after periods of stress.

If this is a recurring problem, I would suggest you inform your doctor and have it properly assessed.

Good luck and keep this thread updated.
 hippiewitch - Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:06 am

Thank you.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us