Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

Back to Neurology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/04/2017.

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Neurological impact of Pet flea treatments applied to human

 oufa - Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:09 am

My husband is 42. His van became infested with fleas late one evening. He personally applied over the counter flea treatments designated for pets because no pharmacy was open. He lived in his van for a week trying to rid himself of the problem, so he wouldn't affect our home or pets. I don't know what he put on himself but I noticed an alarming change in personality later in the week. Since then, he has not been himself - personality change - deteriorated vision, serious mood swings, mental confusion - major ADD. I know you need to know what he applied but he is not cooperative - doesn't know. I know OPs are a serious threat. I need some advice as to the procedure for getting brain damaged assessed, and a general psychological profile. He's just not right, and its killing our relationship. Thank you

     Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:28 pm

    User avatar Hi Oufa,

    I would suggest that your husband see a doctor for an evaluation. Some of these medicines can be toxic and are absorbed well through the skin.

    Unfortunately, I really can't give you much more specific information without knowing what the agent was.

    Another avenue you may wish to follow is to call your local poison control center to discuss it with them. They can be a very valuable resource. The number (everywhere) is 1-800-222-1222.

    Best wishes.

    | Check a doctor's response to similar questions

    Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

    Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

    • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

    • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

    Doctors Lounge Membership Application

    Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us