Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Question: MS? Loss of balance, loss of vision, weakness of upper limbs

Caroleja - Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:14 pm

Age: 48
Sex: Female
Past Diagnoses: query ms? - 20 years ago
Past surgeries: Tonsils
Family history: Everyone distgustingly healthy, bar myself
Current Medications: Serc - for balance: Lioresal - for Spasms: Neurontin for Pain

Experienced loss of balance and motor control 20 years ago. Motor control came back mostly, but balance has been comprimised since. Had a bad experience with a neurologist at time - thought he was disinterested so I gave up on him and have been blessed with a great GP since.

Have experienced total loss of vision in both eyes on a few occasions since but again things sorted themselves out. Have had periods where motor control goes in one leg for very short periods and returns then to normal. Have also experienced severe leg spasms at night. Have suffered neuralgia on face and occassionally get pain in one eye when moving it. Recently have suffered some weakness in my upper limbs - something new for me. Also the loss of power in one leg has lasted lfor several minutes not seconds as before. For the last 20 years fatigue has been a constant factor in my life which is only controlled by frequent rest periods.

Does this sound like ms?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:45 pm

User avatar Hi Caroleja,

Multiple sclerosis is sometimes a difficult diagnosis to make. The diagnosis is made by having two or more neurological phenomenon separated in location and time by at least 3 months.

MRI's can be helpful in looking for the characteristic lesions in the brain and spinal cord.

Your symptoms could be caused by MS but the diagnosis also requires that the symptoms not be explained by anything else. This is where the diagnosis gets a bit tricky.

I would recommend you see a neurologist with experience in diagnosing MS to discuss your symptoms. When you are having symptoms doing an MRI of the brain/spinal cord may be helpful.