Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Question: Nerve damage due to trauma

LynniePie2 - Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:05 pm

I am losing hope and am confused. I had an accident 8 months ago and had surgery to repair torn artery at the elbow. Later we realized that the median nerve was damaged since I had severe pain in hand and fingers. Had EMG and Neuro said he didn't think I needed surgery and that it would take a long time,but would get better, one inch per month. Luckily Lyrica is covering up my severe pain. Now they are saying that "maybe it will, maybe it won't get better depending on severity of damage". I don't understand. Shouldn't I have had surgery if the damage was bad enough? If it isn't bad enough shouldn't it get better? I heard that I only have 18 months for any regeneration to take place so I am getting worried that I need to act.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:29 pm

User avatar Hi LynniePie2,

Nerve damage can be very difficult. Surgery often is only indicated in a few situations. Nerve regeneration is quite slow. I'm not sure that the 18 month limit is a definite cut off. There may still be a possibility of further healing that can occur. Unfortunately, this is a little outside my specialty so I can't say for sure.

I would suggest you see the neurologist again to discuss your symptoms and see if there are any other treatments that may help stimulate recovery.